The SMA Doctoral Consortium is a two-day program that will be held on Wednesday and Thursday of conference week at the SMA Annual Conference.
Doctoral Consortium Fellows (participants) experience unique learning and networking opportunities designed to help future marketing academicians succeed. Doctoral Consortium Fellows work together with top marketing scholars in professional development and career planning sessions that incorporate research, teaching, and service.
Doctoral students attending the consortium come from leading universities across the United States and abroad. The success of the program is evident by the number of Doctoral Consortium Fellows that return year after year to offer insight and advice to new Fellows. The Doctoral Consortium is in keeping with SMA tradition, offering the attention, hospitality, and warmth that typify our organization.
The registration cost of the Doctoral Consortium is $275 ($325 if paid after October 1), which includes consortium registration, all meals during the consortium, conference attendance, and access to SMA Academic Placement Services.
In order to be considered as a SMA Doctoral Consortium Fellow, students first must be nominated by one of their university’s doctoral faculty members. Third and fourth year students will benefit most from participation. Generally, there is a limit of one student per school. Nominations must be sent directly via email to the consortium chairs listed below. Once a nominee is confirmed as eligible, the next step is for the student to complete the registration form and pay the registration fee (payable to the Society for Marketing Advances). The form provides directions for payment.
1. Although 2nd-year students are welcome to join the Doctoral Consortium, the program is most beneficial to 3rd- year and 4th-year students. No more than 36 students will be accepted for any one year.
2. Student wishing to participate in the SMA Doctoral Consortium must make a commitment to be an active participant in the program. Students are required to:
4. Doctoral Consortium Chair will notify the nominating faculty and the student of his/her acceptance to the program.
1. Once accepted to the Doctoral Consortium, students must register for the program by completing the Doctoral Consortium Registration Form.
2. Registration fee is $275 ($325 if paid after October 1). Registration fees are non-refundable.
3. Registration to the SMA Doctoral Consortium includes the following:
The Doctoral Consortium Chair will notify you by email prior to the beginning of the Doctoral Consortium with details.
No. All materials and equipment are provided by SMA.
You do not need to register for the conference. That will done for you when you register for Doctoral Consortium. Your name badge and other conference materials will be delivered to you on the first day of the Doctoral Consortium.
Yes. Students are responsible for securing their own lodging.
No. Papers being presented by Doctoral Consortium participants will be scheduled for Friday and Saturday.
University of Texas Arlington
Kennesaw State University
Mississippi State Universitykshanahan@business.msstate.edu